Friday, December 12, 2008

Line Etiquette

While we were at Disneyland we waited in hours of lines, now in the US waiting in lines is a common occurrence, we have grown up with it and we are use to them-I recognize, acknowledge and have experienced the fact that things are different in a lot of other countries. Lines are not a universal norm however, at Disneyland they are and if you are from the US then you have no excuse and after experiencing a full day of this I felt the need to set a few things straight regarding lines:

1. We are all anxiously waiting in line to get into the Haunted Mansion, get onto Space Mountain, Indiana Jones....(you fill in the blank)...we all wish the line would move faster.
2. Standing less than an inch behind me literally (definition: actually; without exaggeration or inaccuracy) breathing on the back of my neck is not going to make the line move any faster...I promise, it really isn't.
3. Letting the people directly in front of me take two steps without immediately taking two steps of my own is not going to affect your wait time. In fact, yelling at me and telling me to "move" will make me less willing to immediately take my two steps but still...no affect on your actual wait time. In fact, I prefer to get a few feet in between myself and the group in front of me so that when I do move up the whole line behind us moves up a lot and feels like they are making a lot of progress...mind games...I like!

Here are a few suggestions for waiting in long lines:
1. Bring a game: sudoku, word search, crossword puzzles, a hand held game...but don't get too distracted and not move up...you may get yelled at...
2. Buy something to eat before getting into a long line...Disneyland has great churros, frozen bananas, Carmel apples, popcorn...and lots of other tasty goodies....if the line is long enough you will have plenty of time to eat and digest before getting on the ride so you won't get sick
3. Pray...pray for the line to go fast, pray for the ride not to break down after you wait 45 minutes, pray for the people who keep yelling at you because you waited 5 seconds before taking two steps to move the line along...
4. Play the 20 things you won't see in El Dorado Hills game...its simple, you pick out things that you don't normally see in El Dorado Hills. Matt and I play this when we go to Palmdale, only we play up to 50 because there are so many and they are so easy to spot...

Of course we could do away with lines...and this happens:


Do you have a line etiquette story or suggestion to pass the time?

No comments: