Sunday, May 24, 2009

Conversation "no-nos"

Being a pastors wife I have come to notice that some people think they know you a lot better than they actually do. This probably happens because they see my husband on stage and see us around the church...being part of a large church most people know us but we do not know them. And this happens...people think they are pretty close to us when in reality we barely know who they are...which leads them to making comments or asking questions they really shouldn't. In the past few weeks this has become very clear to me through some of the questions and statements that have been directed at me. So, I thought I would do a service to everyone and remind you of a few questions/statements you don't say to people...especially women.

When waiting to get food at a self-serve BBQ don't say "Oh, (insert name here) just got her food, is there any left?"

When saying good-bye to someone at the same BBQ don't say, "I'll see you at the gym working this BBQ off".

When seeing someone make up their plate at a self-serve dinner don't ask, "Is that all for you?"

And, the one I thought everyone knew..."Are you pregnant?" Really, no matter how close you think you are to someone, don't ask this question! Here's a hint...if you are "that close" she will tell you if she is pregnant...you won't have to ask!

No comments: