Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Prop 8

On my way to school this morning, around 7:30 am, I drove past a busy intersection to see two people holding signs to vote "yes" on Prop 8. This got me thinking about how much time we spend making it clear about what we stand against rather than what we stand for. I would venture to guess that the majority of the people who are rallying people to vote yes on prop 8 are Christians which begs me to ask if they are spending even half as much time loving others (homosexuals) as they are making their stance known? Jesus simply calls us to Love God and to Love Others and if we did this simple command...oh how different the world would be!
On another note, why are Christians so focused on homosexuality? Do we see it as a sin? Yes...but why are we so focused on this sin compared to other sins? I haven't heard much talk about prop 4 which deals with abortion. The truth is that homosexuality is happening...and it didn't just start in 2008...it was in the Bible and whether there is a law against homosexual marriage or not same sex couples will be together and a law is not going to stop it. Whether they can marry or not really has no effect on my marriage, my marriage is still valid and will be great regardless of who else is allowed to marry. Youth are still going to grow up knowing homosexual relationships happen but I really don't think it will have an effect on the path they choose...in the past it wasn't talked about nearly as much as it is talked about now yet homosexuality didn't die out...it still happened. As a youth leader I say we should focus more on teaching youth to value themselves and to guard their body against premarital sex or drug use or underage drinking rather than trying to protect them from the talk of homosexuality. Let's teach the youth to love God and love others regardless of the life they choose just as Jesus did. Okay...that's all on that. This is what happens when I have an hour drive to school early in the morning! :-)

No comments: